Born in the boon of wartime Wilmington, Lake Forest Baptist Church had its beginnings with a non-denominational group of twelve people who recognized the need for spiritual worship in the area.
Beginning first as a Sunday School in the Lake Forest Community building in 1944, Lake Forest became a mission of First Baptist Church in 1947. In 1948 with 150 members the mission called its first pastor, the Reverend James Crisp.
Also in 1948 plans were begun with the help of First Baptist Church to purchase a chapel from Camp Davis at Holly Ridge for use as a church building. Lots were purchased from Veterans Homes, Inc. and the chapel was moved and reconstructed where it still stands today.
The mission was organized as a church on January 8, 1950 with 135 members and voted into the Wilmington Baptist Association on April 18, 1950. With the reconstruction of the chapel complete, the church building was dedicated on September 2, 1951.
A new education building was dedicated on June 12, 1960 to house the church offices, Sunday School, nursery and fellowship hall. Modernization of the kitchen in the fellowship hall has recently been completed. The church also continues to modernize with computers taking on a larger role in records keeping and communication.
Lake Forest Baptist Church continues to serve as a center of worship for the surrounding community and stands ready to meet your spiritual needs.